It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:00 am

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:01 pm 

Officer
Toons: Kaligaran

I love my SSD. I got one for games only. I didn't put windows on it b/c I only got a 120gb and I use it for Steam as well.

120g really isn't enough for all the games I want to have so I'm constitantly having to uninstall older games that I prolly shouldn't keep around in order to re-install my new games. It made a HUGE difference for WoW too.

What I have considered doing is getting a small 64gb SSD for Windows only since 64gb SSDs have come WAY down in price.

When I built my system just about 13 months ago. I went with the top end i5 as it was significantly cheaper than the i7s. I haven't checked the price recently though.
When I built mine I was able to get away with the transition from a laptop to a desktop (so I needed a power supply/case/etc) for about $1600 after rebates. And it has upgrade potential b/c of the ram slots and SLI. So far I haven't had a need to upgrade. I've been able to run everything at max settings that I've played with no slowdowns including Sniper Elite V2, Diablo 3, WOW, ARMA II, etc.

Sorry for the ramblings, hope that helps at least some. :)

ImageImage

"WoW is all free candy and cookies and cute little pets...and then Kali yelling for hours. Same as it ever was, but with more crazy orcs." - Spirulina 3/15/15

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:35 pm 

Officer
Toons: Spirulina

My Steam directory is 243 GB... it would be too much of a pain to try and keep it down to SSD size.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:07 pm 

Peon

Thanks for all the input guys, it has really helped. Im definitely going to go with a 120g SSD for windows and WoW and then get a 1 or 2 TB regular hard drive for everything else. Im also going to go with the i5 mainly because it will save me close to $200. Going to start ordering most of the parts in the next week, seems like there are some good rebates on a few of the items at the moment. Again thanks for the help and input it is much appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:35 am 

Peon

So again thanks for the input on this page I have ordered every part on the list below and I am currently waiting on a few of them to ship to me. hopefully by this weekend I will have everything and can start assembly on Saturday. I also ordered my first ever gaming keyboard and mouse, up till now I have only ever played with your standard mouse and keyboard so I am excited to get everything and try it out. (Logitech G110 keyboard and Logitech G300 mouse)
Case:
Cooler Master HAF 932

Processor:
Intel i5-3350P

Motherboard:
Asus P8Z77-V

Memory:
Kingston Technology HyperX Red 16GB Kit (2x8GB) DDR3

Hard Drive:
Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SATA SSD
Western Digital Blue 1.0TB SATA

Video Card:
EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB PCI-E

Power Supply:
Corsair Professional Series HX 750 Watt Modular 80 PLUS Gold

Optical Drive:
Asus DVDRW/CDRW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:32 pm 

Officer
Toons: Kaligaran

Really nice setup. You'll have to let us know how you like it. :)

ImageImage

"WoW is all free candy and cookies and cute little pets...and then Kali yelling for hours. Same as it ever was, but with more crazy orcs." - Spirulina 3/15/15

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:50 pm 
Peon

Congrats man! Building it is a lot of fun. It requires some patience for wire management, but it's not bad. Good luck!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:50 am 

Symblog
Toons: Symbah

i have 2 240 gb ssd's raid0 so i have steam windows and wow on that, and 5TB of storage drives...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:52 am 

Symblog
Toons: Symbah

man all this talk of building is getting my tinkering idea's flowing again

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:41 pm 

Peon

So I built the system on Saturday...took about 4 hours to get everything together in the manner I wanted it, the cable management took the most time mainly because Ive never done it before.

The system is amazing. I dont really have any really demanding games at the moment (I play on getting some tho). I did install Guild Wars 2 finally put all the settings up to ultra and I was getting around 90 fps. I am super happy with it so far. The SSD is amazing takes no time at all for WoW to load up definitely glad you talked me into that.

Anyways thanks again guys for all the help. Oh and the keyboard and mouse are awesome! More buttons for more hotkeys!