It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:54 am

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:10 am 

Tauren

So I've been gaming on my laptop a lot recently, and although it's only a year old, and I specifically bought it with a video card in it (as opposed to on the moboard) it was gaming like crap. I had all my settings real low and I was still only getting 20-25 fps.

Then yesterday I was in the middle of a Tol B battle and my laptop said my battery was almost dead so I jumped up and plugged myself in. Wooosh, fps went form 22fps up to 40fps (much more playable).

I never realized until now that I needed to turn off some of the power saving features while playing on battery power.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:16 am 

Officer

I've run into a new issue with my laptop. If my plug falls out my comp totally freezes and I need to hard reset.

[[Cross:Wudang:Matahari:Crosshairs:Trevark]]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:24 am 

Officer
Toons: Kaligaran

Yeah my laptop has a 'power saver', 'balanced', and 'high performance' mode that you can set when on battery power.

Power saver is like an 8 hour battery life where the high performance is like 2. Of course, I never use the battery so I stay plugged in and tend to ruin my batteries this way (although I often knock the cord out or something so it's nice to not have it die on me).

In addition, I keep the battery mode on 'power saver' so that when I do knock the power cord out, I realize it immediatly.

ImageImage

"WoW is all free candy and cookies and cute little pets...and then Kali yelling for hours. Same as it ever was, but with more crazy orcs." - Spirulina 3/15/15

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:14 pm 

Symblog
Toons: Symbah

yeah turn all power saving off for gaming even when your plugged in, cross your problem sounds like your video card is being throttled when you go to battery, i would really look into turning all powersaving off all the time, its can sometimes suck power out of the comp even when plugged in, you should have the option somewhere to make a custom powersaving mode